Ron Flavin, Inc.
Ron Flavin, Inc. (RFI) is a business grant funding consultancy, aiming to help entrepreneurs and organizations in the United States and around the world develop innovative growth strategies and identify new revenue sources.
Established in 2002 by Ron Flavin, the company has relied on its unique growth methodologies to obtain over $200 million in funding for its clients. In October 2018, RFI partnered with Method and Metric with the goal of improving lead conversions on its website, RFlavin.com, by increasing search engine visibility, website traffic, and ultimately, lead generation through contact form submissions.
Two months after the project’s initiation, we compared the first 30 days of RFlavin.com’s analytics to the 30 days that came after. The dates ranges are from Oct. 10, 2018 – Nov. 9, 2018, and Nov. 10, 2018 – Dec. 10, 2018. Here are the results:
- Increased the number of users that visited the site by 32.78%
- Increased the number of new users that visited the site by 33.17%
- Increased the number of sessions on the site by 34.30%
- Increased the number pageviews on the site by 41.77%
- Decreased the bounce rate (when a user leaves the site without interacting with it) on the site by 44.16%
United States Traffic
- Increased the number of users that visited the site from the United States by 67.72%
- Increase the percentage of users that were from the United States by 11.92%
- Increased the number of sessions on the site by users from the United States by 67.57%
- Increased the number of pageviews on the site by users from the United States by 53.73
- Decreased the bounce rate on the site by 23.27%
- Increased the number of mobile users that visited the site by 11.54%
- Increased the number of mobile users from the United States by 21.43%
- Increased the number of new mobile users that visited the site by 11.88%
- Increased the number of mobile sessions on the site by 11.67%
- Decreased the mobile bounce rate on the site by 44.89%
- Increased contact page visits on the site by 157.14%
- Increased contact page visits on the site by users from the United States 150%
- Increased ebook downloads on the site by 133.33%
- Increased ebook downloads on the site by users from the United States 150%
Keyword Research & Implementation
Through search volume analysis, we were able to uncover keywords that were not only relevant to grant funding consulting, but that also yielded high monthly search volumes on Google. We then narrowed it down further to look specifically at search volumes within the United States, RFIs target demographic. Our goal was not only to increase traffic but to increase conversion rates, meaning we wanted to attract the entrepreneurs and businesses that were looking for ways to secure funding. As such, we focused primarily on long-tailed keywords that were more suited to that niche market. A compiled list of 212 keywords was inputted into our keyword tracker in order to track the average search volume and search engine visibility. This also allowed us to differentiate between desktop and mobile performance for more granular insights. From there, we were able to see which other domains were ranking for the same keywords, thus allowing us to perform competitive analyses to identify opportunities for RFI and its website.
Website Audit & Optimization
The vast majority of our work consisted of on-page and technical optimization, as RFlavin.com had recently undergone a site redesign. There were, however, implement a few site map changes under its services section in order to improve site navigation and user experience. The key areas of optimization focused on writing compelling content that leveraged the keywords from our research. Posting educational blog posts and relevant case studies allowed us to demonstrate Flavin’s expertise and to add more credibility to his website. It also provided more opportunities for users to find the website through search engines and learn of RFI and its services. There was also a heavy emphasis on on-page optimization, as most of Rflavin.com’s web pages had duplicate title tags and/or poorly written meta descriptions. On top of that, a reasonable portion of its images had file sizes that were too large. These needed to be re-sized to improve average page load time.
Through our analysis, we discovered that the service section of the site was not contributing to new leads in any meaningful way. As such, we began conducting A/B tests to improve the user’s journey from services to contact. Our testing involved two parts. With our first test, we want to bring more users from the homepage to the services page in order to further educate them on the opportunities and offerings provided by RFI. This was addressed by implementing a button on the above the fold of the homepage which when clicked would bring the user to the services page. We tested different variations of the button in order to maximize conversion rates. For example, we were able to determine that a ‘FIND OUT MORE’ button had almost 50% higher conversion rate than a ‘LEARN MORE’ button. The second part of our testing was to direct users from the services page to the contact page. This was achieved by testing different call-to-action buttons on that lead to the contact page. To increase click-through-rates, we positioned the buttons in locations of the services page that would more visible to users.
From our backlink analysis, it was evident that the initial backlink quality of RFlavin.com was very poor. Although most of the referring domains appeared to be legitimate and were related to the business of grant funding, the majority had low trust and citation flows. In other words, the majority of backlinks were from websites with low domain authority. We improved this by submitting the website to over directory listings with high domain authorities. This increases domain authority, which improves search engine visibility. We also created a plan to disavow any potential bad links.
Within two months of working with RFI, its website saw improvements in search engine visibility and website traffic from its target market and was been able to achieve higher lead conversions in both month as a result. With a contract extension shortly thereafter, Method and Metric has and will continue to provide RFI with on-going SEO service and to deliver quantifiable results.